Friday, January 22, 2010

On Rhetoric

The subject of rhetoric is one which I could talk quite a bit about. In the last semester alone, I had two classes on rhetoric: one concerning writing conventions and another on its presence in databases and information systems. It was really fascinating to experience the classes simultaneously and see the juxtaposition of ways in which rhetoric is used. I had known the basics about rhetoric for several years, but I had never thought about the extent to which it is used in day-to-day life. Its applications in computer and information science were even further out of my comfort zone. I feel that I learned a lot, and I'm eager to apply what I studied to technical and professional writing.

I think that my background in rhetorical devices will help me in this class as well as in my future career. I have already started brainstorming methods of persuasion for the media kit that my group will be preparing in the coming weeks. Still, I know that there is always more to learn, and I'm excited to do so. I hope that rhetoric is a topic we continue to discuss as the class moves forward, because I find it fascinating, and I enjoy seeing the ways and styles in and with which people embrace their own ability to move others.

2 comments:

NightWrite said...

Good thing you love rhetoric so much because we have another rhetoric assignment due this week! YOU MUST BE THRILLED! ^_^

The Mighty Kat said...

I'm glad you find rhetoric fascinating, Meg. I do, too! The idea of investigating it in databases sounds surprising.