Monday, January 18, 2010

On Writing

Writing has always come naturally to me, at least in my own opinion. I’ve never really struggled with the blinking cursor on a white screen the way I know some people do; I just start typing, and then I revise as needed. Where I have to spend my time laboring is much more in the realm of mathematics, which in't difficult for me but can begin to feel tedious, as there are definite correct answers. One of the things I love most about writing is that at its most basic level, it is about communication, which is always as much about personal style as it is about strict rules. Some of the most famous poets and authors in the history of English language have turned the laws inside out and successfully run without things like capitalization or proper sentence structure (e. e. cummings and Virginia Woolf come to my mind). In this way, I find the delicately constructed nuances of writing to be a lot like art, and in so being, the process of writing to be a very freeing and expressive one. I’ve always written a lot of stories and poetry, ever since I was a child, and I love whiling away hours that way.

I also have lots of experience with academic writing, having taken classes in English and Spanish since high school, and adding Italian to my repertoire in college. I really found that trying to create beautiful writing in a foreign language added to my value as a writer in my native tongue. Likewise, I find that writing for the sciences, where the goal is to say as much as possible in as few words as possible (and where they’d get a good laugh over my “delicately constructed nuances”), to be a really cathartic experience and to somewhat help cleanse me of my tendency toward arbitrary vocabulary. I’m hoping this class will help in the same way, although I know it will be a difficult experience, because I do so love my flowery language. Still, I’m excited to learn how to be more professional in my writing, and look forward to understanding more about my own writing style and how to make it as correct as possible in business situations.

2 comments:

Meadow Nelson said...

Great Post! It was fun to read especially since I have the exact opposite mindset. It is amusing how your reasoning for not liking math is the same as my reasoning for not liking english. I love having clear expectations and a clear correct answer. It is great to have diversity.

Sara said...

Your comment about how writing has always come naturally to you, but mathamatics proves to be difficult is interesting. It seems that is the case for the majority of people. Either there are those you rock at the creative side like writing or art, or there are those that astound on a more analytical level like math and science. I consider myself on the math end of the spectrum, but when it comes down to it the best bet I would think would be to be marginally talented in all areas!